Liverweb HomePage

SEASON 2010-11

Archive of all Results

Liverweb Match Report

Follow on Twitter : @Liverweb


Liverpool 2 Everton 2

The Reds reserves switched their home game to Everton to Anfield and on a night that was starting to chill down they had to come from two down to draw two all.

Everton switched the sides around and got the game underway defending the Kop end of the ground.

Just a minute in to the game Robinson gave the ball away and Vellios shot from thirty odd yards out which Hansen saw all the way.

The Reds settled the quicker and for me were the more attacking side, particularly down the flanks. Ince and Suso were stretching the play really well and both Flanagan and Robinson were supporting them well.

It was the visitors who took the lead though on sixteen minutes and I have to say it was a superb strike from Forshaw. He bent a great ball well beyond Hansen in the Reds goal.

The Reds went straight on the attack and it was Ince who was looking our best bet. On eighteen minutes he linked up with Robinson and so nearly beat three men to get in to the box and despite a half shout for a penalty the game went on.

The main problem for the Reds was that for all the good work that Ince was doing there was no great target in the box for him to hit. Saric was up top but being supported by Irwin who isn't a striker at all.

On twenty six minutes Suso curled a shot just over the bar after a hand ball shout was taken up by the referee.

Everton were forced in to a switch on twenty eight minutes when Baxter pulled up sharply clutching his hamstring. He was replaced by Donegan after Baxter needed to be taken off on a stretcher which made it look like a major tear.

On forty minutes Irwin shot over after Suso had found him well in the area from a free kick which was given after Ince was fouled in full flight.

The Reds paid a high price for this as well as Everton scored in their next attack. A long free kick to our area saw Vellios easily out jump Mendy and as Robinson was drawn in McAleny was left all alone and he fired a shot over Hansen in to the goal.

A minute in to stoppage time and the Reds were given a penalty when Robinson was brought down by Nsiala. Despite Everton protests Michael Roberts took the kick. Roberts though hit the penalty in the exact spot his body language said he would and Roberts the Everton keeper saved easily and then grabbed the loose ball.

Everton did then also have another chance at the death of the half when Mendy, Wisdom and Hansen got in a mess and Mendy headed weakly and Vellios tried to flick the ball over his head to the empty net but he was just wide.

The Reds were struggling now to get a full grip of the game. We lacked something right up top and Saric just wasn't getting the ball and holding it up whilst Thomas and Roberts were getting a bit over run in the centre of midfield which meant we were being passed by.

The Reds threw on Toni Silva at the break for Conor Thomas and the Reds got the game started again.

On forty nine minutes the Reds attacked down the right wing and Saric did well to stay on his feet as he jinked in to the area and then found Suso but the young Spanish ace bent his shot high over the bar.

On fifty five minutes Silva jinked his way past a couple of players before bending a shot to the far corner which the keeper did well to save at full stretch. From the corner which was cleared initialy Irwin built it back up again and despite a host of bodies between the Reds and the goal they did manage to get a shot in but agan the keeper did well.

The Reds finally scored on fifty six minutes when Silva worked some spec and gave the ball to Suso who placed a superb shot to the bottom corner.

The Reds really should have equalised within a minte as well when Silva was played through on goal but with only the keeper to beat he shot wide of the near post.

The Reds did equalise on sixty four minutes through Saric when he took a ball from Robinson and turned well before shooting to the bottom corner.

Within a minute of the goal Ince was sent down the left and he hit the roof of the net with a chip. Perhaps a shot across the keeper would have been better but you've got to give the lad credit for getting in there.

On sixty eight minutes with the Reds now in full control of the game Silva was put through down the inside right but after selling his man he saw his shot well saved by the keeper and Everton cleared the danger.

On seventy one minutes the visitors sent on Barrow in place of Craig to try and get themselves back in to the game.

Martin Hansen was out superbly well on seventy five minutes as Everton tried to break through the middle. This time Hansen went right through though and cleared the danger.

As the clock ticked on the game started becoming a bit more evenly balanced with both sides looking for that crucial opening that would surely win the game now.

On eighty four minutes Tom Ince got himself through three players and somehow managed to stay on his feet before shooting across the six yard box and out for a goal kick. All it needed was a touch to be a goal but it just didn't come.

In the final minute Ince saw a shot flick off a defender and fall easily to the keeper. It was now looking like the draw was how it was all going to finish up.

After three extra minutes of time the ref blew for time and it was honours even. I was a bit disappointed b ecause Everton offered little, particularly in the second half but when there chances came in the first half they took them and we didn't.

MotM : Suso - just edges Ince for me because he was involved in the play a bit more but the two of these looked superb on the night while Silva helped to change the game in the second half.

Liverpool Hansen, Flanagan, Mendy, Wisdom, Robinson, Suso, Thomas (Silva 45), Roberts, Ince, Irwin, Saric
Unused Subs Chamberlain, Coady, Sama, Cooper
Goal Suso (57), Saric (65)

Everton Roberts, Browning, Nsiala, Bidwell, Garbutt, Craig (Barrow 71), Kinsella, Baxter (Donegan 30), Forshaw, Vellios, McAleny
Unused Subs Fitzgibbon, Murphy, Forrester
Goal(s) Forshaw (16), McAleny (42)

Referee S J Bratt
Att 2336
Venue Anfield
Kick Off 19:00:00