report generating LIVERWEB - Liverpool Manchester United Match Report - 09 January 2011

Liverweb HomePage

SEASON 2010-11

Archive of all Results

Liverweb Match Report

Follow on Twitter : @Liverweb

Manchester United 1 Liverpool 0

The Reds travelled along the East Lancs Road for the FA Cup tie with Kenny Dalglish back in charge of the Reds. However a ten man Reds side couldn't recover from an early penalty gained through controversial circumstances for me.

There were five changes to the side with Agger back at Centre back, Aurelio back at left back and Martin Kelly in for Glen Johnson at right back. Raul Meireles came back after injury and Dirk Kuyt came back in to the side as well.

The Reds got the game started at Old Trafford but inside the first minute their was huge controversy when Berbatov dived to win a penalty which Ryan Giggs converted. Berbatov clearly took a dive and I'm afraid should have been booked. Facing Agger in the area the Dane tried to put a challenge in but Berbatov carried on before falling down to con the ref who stupidly fell for it.

If it was an uphill struggle before the game then it was an even bigger hill now.

On eight minutes Darren Fletcher got the first yellow card of the day when he brought Kuyt down from behind without even getting close to the ball.

The Reds slowly started to settle down in to the game and it was their play that was slightly better than the home side. It wasn't resulting in too many clear chances though despite getting towards the United area regularly.

On eighteen minutes Maxi sent in a shot which the keeper did well to beat away as it swirled in the air. Just after that and Kelly broke in to the area but his cross over the six yard box was cut out by Ferdinand.

On thirty two minutes the Reds were dealt a massive blow when Steven Gerrard was red carded for a challenge in midfield on Michael Carrick. The ref pulled Gerrard away from the players before showing him the red card. I thought it was a standard yellow card on first viewing and stick to that after seeing it again afterwards but I can see why the ref decided on the card that he did but it was a huge blow to the Reds.

On the stroke of half time United so nearly made it two nil when Evans rose ahead of Agger but his header crashed out off the post and the chance was cleared.

It was a big half time for the Reds then with ten men on the pitch but we weren't out of the game at this point so had everything still to play for.

United got the second half started with neither side making changes during the interval. Giggs went straight on the attack and weaved his way to win a corner for United which the Reds managed to clear.

United started the second half at high pace and it was leaving the Reds clutching at the game. Hernandez headed just wide of the far post on forty seven minutes.

The Reds gradually got in to the half a little bit but were all but absent at the top end of the pitch. Torres was isolated up front and now starting to sulk unless the ball was placed on his feet. United looked stronger though and you could tell they had the extra man.

The Reds made a double switch on 60 minutes with Babel and Shelvey coming on to replace Maxi and Meireles respectively. They got straight in to the action and Babel had a shot on target all but straight away.

United reacted a couple of minutes later with Anderson replacing Fletcher in their midfield. Anderson was on for a minute before being booked. He was tackled in midfield by Shelvey and the Brazilian raced back to bundle over Torres as he went to shoot. Aurelio bent the free kick to the top corner but Kuszczak just managed to palm it away for a corner.

The Reds were gradually starting to get a bit of possession now and this was now on a knife edge. All it would take was one attack from United and on sixty eight minutes that so nearly came but Reina seemed to get in about six saves in a scramble in the box to prevent the Reds going further behind.

The match was now really being stretched out and United then made a second switch when Owen replaced Hernandez up front.

On seventy six minutes David Ngog was sent on for Torres as a fresh pair of legs up front and perhaps a bit more interest. United made their final change on eighty three minutes when Smalling replaced Evans at the back.

On eighty six minutes Owen shot wide of the target after leaving Kuyt in midfield. United were finishing the game with a little more composure now and holding on to possession which allowed the clock to tick down.

After three extra minutes of time the whistle blew and the Reds were out of the FA Cup for another year thanks to a dodgy penalty decision. Overall though, despite the defeat I think there was plenty of passion from the side, passing and certainly something there for Kenny to work on.

MotM : Fabio Aurelio - played well and so nearly got the Reds a goal in the second half with a free kick. Let's hope he's back in the side now for a while.

Liverpool 25 Reina, 34 Kelly, 5 Agger, 37 Skrtel, 6 Aurelio, 18 Kuyt, 4 Meireles (33 Shelvey 60), 21 Lucas, 17 Maxi (19 Babel 60), 8 Gerrard, 9 Torres (24 Ngog 76)
Unused Subs 42 Gulacsi, 16 Kyrgiakos, 22 Wilson, 28 Poulsen
Red Cards
Gerrard (32)
Shirt Worn Away-White
Manager Kenny Dalglish (2)

Manchester United
29 Kuszczcak, 21 Rafael, 3 Evra, 5 Ferdinand, 23 Evans (12 Smalling 83), 24 Fletcher (8 Anderson 62), 16 Carrick, 11 Giggs, 17 Nani, 14 Hernandez (7 Owen 75), 9 Berbatov
Unused Subs 34 Lindegaard, 20 Fabio, 28 Gibson, 26 Obertan
Giggs (pen 2)
Booking Fletcher (9), Anderson (63)
Shirt Worn Red
Manager Alex Ferguson

Referee Howard Webb    Rotherham
Att 74727
Venue Old Trafford
Kick Off Sunday - 13:30:00
Date 2011-01-09 
HT/FT LL   (0-1)/0-1
Goal Sequence (Liverpool first) 0-1
Competition FA Cup   R3

Match Stats

Liverpool   Manchester United
42% Possession 58%
5 Shots On Target 11
8 Shots Off Target 6
0 Blocked Shots 0
3 Corners 11
7 Fouls 11
2 Offsides 3
0 Yellow Cards 2
1 Red Cards 0

Match Programme

Match number 32 of the season

Domestic Match number 22 of the season

FA Cup Match number 405 of all time

Match number 5236 of all time (excludes war time matches and Friendly/Testimonials)

Match number 181 against Manchester United

Away Match number 98 against Manchester United

Cup Match number 25 against Manchester United

Away Cup Match number 20 against Manchester United